Saturday, February 2, 2013

talking education

Part of journeying back, is returning to uni to update my qualifications.  For many varied reasons, I decided to do a Graduate Diploma in Education (Conversion) here in the area where we live.  This is called a conversion course because it will allow me to teach primary in the state education system.  (Up to this point, I have been able to teach primary in independent and international schools as well as Music and English in High Schools).

We've been doing the course for two weeks now.  Two days on literacy, two days on numeracy and three days to reflect and revise and prepare.

My thoughts?  How am I coping?

The notion of being 'literate' has exploded.  The scope of 'language' is immense. And, because we have become a people obsessed with research and statistics, there are now good reasons to believe what educators are saying about not only 'good' but, more importantly, 'effective' practice.

Being literate now means not only pen and paper literate - it also means having understanding and power over the technologies of today; it means being critical of all the myriad of texts hurtling at us in daily life (texts in the very broadest sense of the word); it means deconstructing the messages behind what we encounter (we are teaching critical thinking for our media dominated world).

Is this different from what I have been doing? 

Well, in many ways my own educational journey has been leading me this way for a number of years. I have never been 'just the music teacher'.  I have always been interested in the bigger picture of education.  I have certainly been inspired by my recent experiences with the PYP (IB) programme.

I'm happy to now have the chance to consolidate my knowledge; to take time to think deeply about what I do as a teacher; to consider how I should prioritise learning in my classroom; and how I can help young people to prepare for what it to come.

I'm lucky.  Not many people get this chance.

10 comments:

  1. can we ship some of the teachers here over to 'update' please?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verena - BOTH the kids are just amazed at how interesting the teachers and teaching is over here.

      Its just so very different.

      Matthew gets his own laptop from the school. There are interactive whiteboards all around. Teachers use multimedia all the time. They are very happy ... so far!

      Delete
    2. I agree with Verena, are you talking about Germany, or another country? I'm really interested in the 'international' aspect of education, we have so much to learn from each other, and will soon have a website for international parents up and running (if my son gets time to get on with it).

      Delete
    3. Verena (a most English of ladies) has two children (similar age to ours) in the German system ... and this past weekend was 'report weekend'

      I was reading an article on how to make our classrooms 'international' just this weekend ... will see if I can dig it out

      However

      Its really more about understanding current research into how children learn and what they need to know for the coming centuries - not what they needed to know when we set up our educational systems

      Delete
    4. Yes yes YES Jenny, I'm keeping your last para as my definitive quote on the subject!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. for those who don't know WÜRG = 'gag''urg'

      I had to look it up - this German word slipped past without me noticing ...

      Delete
  3. Education, of course, has to adapt to a changing society. As especially the social and tecnological aspects have become more complex and the availbility of information has changed, I believe that school does have to deal with it and also to make use of it.

    But sometimes I wonder - does the use of more technology really improve the content or the effectiveness of learning? What is the benefit of writing on a whiteboard? We had one in the meeting rooms in my company and even when used it brought no benefit as apposed to the flip chart... But mind you, in a school it might be different or it also might depend on the use of the board. The same holds true for laptops... I am really interested what your experiences will be because also at our school there is a faction that thinks the school needs whiteboards and laptops (not me ;-)). But do they bring a real benefit in terms of the quality of learning - as opposed to paper and the good old blackboard???

    ReplyDelete
  4. What other multimedia are the teachers using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefanie - I should be working on my assignment but ...

      Technology: I agree with you on the point that a white board is nothing more than a clean and convenient chalk board.

      An Interactive Whiteboard, however, is an entirely different thing. It is a computer based tool which is revolutionising the way we can deliver material. Instead of kids being huddled around a small book at the front (and don't get me wrong, there is a time for that as well), kids can view on big screens picture books with animations (so that you can highlight spelling, vocabulary, grammar points, etc), maths problems (being solved by them and the teacher but so that everyone can see), videos demonstrating ... animations...

      I have only just begun to learn what this can do.

      In music, for example, you can hook it up to the keyboard and display melodies as you write them - teaching kids how to read music notation quickly and easily.

      Its a lot neater than my handwriting.

      Its also the way that our children's generation operate. They key into things differently. They know that you swipe to look at photos on a phone. They know that buttons have power. They aren't afraid.

      We also know that 'traditional' methods have failed many students in the past.

      That is the 'short answer' ...

      Delete