Friday, February 8, 2013

here for the long haul

For so many years now, we have been touring the world, often on short stays.  Sometimes its been part and parcel of the opera singer life, other times its simply been as visitors to a new place.

I have walked into so many bare kitchens and have had to stock the cupboards - for a week, a fortnight or maybe a couple of months.  I've bought salt and pepper shakers knowing that if I left them, then the maids would just ditch them.  I've bought instant meals because buying the full array of herbs and spices was just not an option.

Now I am stocking this cupboard for life.  I'm putting cans on the shelf knowing that if they don't get eaten in the next couple of days, then I wont have to throw them out.  I can buy herbs in large quantities knowing that they wont go to waste.  I'm looking at flour and wondering what I will bake with it.

Now, as I reach for something on the supermarket shelf, I dont have to think about the waste when we move on - I just have to remember to use it before its shelf life expires.

I'm sure that there is a parrallel to be found here for life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment