Friday, January 25, 2013

mateship

Its Australia Day.  A day where journalists explore the notion of what it is to be Australian.  One senior journalist has written about mateship - about how we, as a nation, help one another when needed; how its not just institutional but very personal help offered by individuals to those around them.

How very true.

Since our return, I have been overwhelmed by the offers of help I have recieved from my friends here in the area. People have dropped off unwanted sofas for us to sit on (they left them on the front lawn!). Some strong (and tall!) friends then got the sofa upstairs for us! Others have loaned camping tables and chairs.  Friends put together a care box of things we needed in the kitchen.  All these individual gestures - the support and the help - have made our restart here just that much easier.

When you a new - brand new - to a community, you don't have that help coming to you.  It can be tough.

I should remember that - help those who are new - not just your friends - because moving really is one of the toughest things you will ever do.


2 comments:

  1. It a fortune that you receive so much help - if you don´t deserve it - who else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Anni, Jenny has given away housefuls of help and possesions over the years! I miss this kind of community friendship, it's not happening around me, is it because I am an hostile hermit, or is it Europe? (although my neighbours do involve themselves in my life by inviting me round for "aperatif" ((drinks and nibbles which go on until long past dinnertime)) on an annual basis, in order to ask me to cut down the tree/trim the hedge that overhangs their perimeter fence).

    ReplyDelete