Thursday, July 4, 2013

When vacuuming the bedroom represents a major triumph

I have vacuumed the bedroom.  Almost 6 months after arriving back, this is the first time I have actually vacuumed my bedroom.

What makes this remarkable, is everything that has gone on before to achieve this feat.

1. Vacuum cleaner actually arrived from Germany unharmed.
2. I found the vacuum cleaner bags!!!  Hidden in one of the 120 boxes which also arrived from Germany.
3. We have carpet!! Lovely, new plush carpet that requires vacuuming.
4. I found enough floor space to warrant vacuuming: i.e.  I have cleared most of the boxes in our bedroom so that there is floor space that needs to be attended to.

Scattered on the floor were bits of confetti that escaped from the bag imported from Germany which was the freebie bag given out at the performance of Rocky Horror Show we attended for Isabelle's 12th birthday.

What I could not do was vacuum under the bed because our 'bed' is still a mattress on the floor because the crucial central support for the bed has gone for good. 

That is the cloud in my otherwise blue and sunny sky.

4 comments:

  1. I understand this domestically challenged behaviour. But I can't understand how you surived vacuuming free for so long, don't you get dust balls? They even have a name here, moutons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This answer has at least two parts:
      1. When we arrived, we had 'old carpet'. This 'old carpet' remained in place until 12th April when the new carpet arrived two days before the shipment from Germany. The old carpet was horrible and disgusting and no amount of vacuuming was every going to help. Since then, the new carpet has had limited exposure to the world because large portions of it has been hidden by boxes (and hundreds of them). Its only now that I can see the floor.
      2. Those little 'balls of the world' (those moutons)really don't exist here like they do in Germany. I know EXACTLY what you mean - they collect in all the corners, under tables, at the ends of chair legs. Its all the crap that floats in the air and then finally settles. I could never, ever believe how much there was in our German flat. And now I have to tell you: I really CAN'T find them here. We trek sand in. We might get a gum leaf blow in. But those 'moutons' (and I don't know the German word - maybe Isabelle does ...) ... nope, not here.

      Delete
    2. No no, too unfair, sea sand sun and no dustballs...

      Delete