Sunday, July 7, 2013

something I never had to do in Germany

... was sweep the dead worms out of the laundry.

Last week it rained so much that the ground became so water-logged that the worms sought refuge in the laundry.   It was also so wet that I didn't go into the laundry for several days (I was hibernating upstairs, wrapped up in a snuggly blanket, binge-watching Dr Who).

Today I swept out those worms.  They had dried up and stuck to the floor so it wasn't a great experience.  I'm hoping that it doesn't have any karmic repercussions.

Of course, if I am sweeping and vacuuming, this indicates that I have made SIGNIFICANT progress in clearing all those boxes.  Its a good feeling.  I'm starting to see clarity and order.  And that, in itself, is a very healing, calming experience.

2 comments:

  1. What what? Where did the worms come from? Was laundry wet or dry and why did they choose it? And how did they get at it and why did they die? And does it always rain this much in winter? (when we are planning to come and see you...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The laundry was dry but the surrounding ground was sodden. It's taken two weeks to dry out from all the rain we had. (I really have to pick up my game and take some photos dont I?).
    Because the ground was so sodden, the worms were drowning so they came inside (I guess under the door). Trouble was, they didn't get far before drying out totally.
    Its quite a common thing here when it is wet. Its just something I had totally forgotten about.

    And does it always rain? oh - you can never tell. We had a LOT of rain in a week (like 250mm) but since then barely a drop. We have had sunny afternoons with temps (maximums) between 16 - 20. If you sit in the sun, you can feel warm (warm and NOT hot).

    The sun rises at about 6:30am and sets a bit after 5pm.

    Of course, if you are inland (which is also high because of a geological effect of having a ridge of raised mountains which runs down the coast line), then temps are significantly cooler. I believe that they can drop to 1 degree!!!! and sometimes below zero (depending on where you go).

    ReplyDelete